Why can't we speak English?

Heh, doubt any of y'all cared. Would any of you spend just as much time -hell, half the time, even- studying English as math?
Yes we did.
Were you pushed just as hard to learn English as math?
Dude, when we were at high school, some of us were trying to talk english in our private time. We worked hard for english. As I said we learned english from turkish teachers. And their accent is a rip off. First time I had conversation with a native irl, I always needed to ask him to speak so slowly. I didn't worked hard math as I did to English tbh. I was following tons of instagram pages, YouTube channels etc. I tried to improve my accent. You don't know me or my friends. So you don't have right to tell us we weren't pushing to learn that. You ain't know a thing bro. Not about me, not about my school. You don't know my mother is an English teacher. Even she is a english teacher, she having problems with natives. Like what the hell? She graduated from a Turkish university. And I saw that, the Turkish education system for foreign languages is shitty. So don't blame the students. Okey? Most of the students that graduated high school branch foreign languages, they are not able to speak fluently :D So problem is students right? Ye we are the problematic ones.
We worked hard for english.
Well we did it in a wrong way 'cause curriculum was wrong. But still you don't have right to tell us we didn't try.

Well we did it in a wrong way 'cause curriculum was wrong. But still you don't have right to tell us we didn't try.
I call it the way I see it. And I have every right to say that, actually, considering I do private tutoring. You just might not want to hear it, and that is okay, too.

I don't mean to shame you in any shape or form, but you claim to have worked so much on your English over the years, how come you're still making an awful lot of mistakes? Is there a chance you might have been following some pages or channels who speak/write broken English?

As I said we learned English from Turkish teachers.
Don't we all? I was taught both English and German by Turkish teachers. Not a real problem. Actually very few people are fortunate enough to have a native speaker as their teacher.

And their accent is a rip off.
Rip off? No. Turkish accent? More like it.

I was following tons of instagram pages, YouTube channels etc. I tried to improve my accent. You don't know me or my friends.
It's very unlikely that you can improve your accent by watching videos alone, you need to practice. A lot. You have to keep trying hard until you can pronounce a word the way you want it. Yes, I don't know you or your friends. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't trust my experience in the field enough to come to a pretty accurate conclusion. I still may very well be wrong, though.

So you don't have right to tell us we weren't pushing to learn that.
I didn't say "you weren't pushing". I said "were you pushed". Passive voice. You're on the receiving end of the verb. Same as saying "Did someone push you?"

You ain't know a thing bro.
No. Don't. Slang doesn't make you seem more like a native speaker. Not only that is VERY informal, but also grammatically wrong. Ya can use it in da hood all ya want tho dawg. Peace.

You don't know my mother is an English teacher. Even she is an* English teacher, she is* having problems with natives. Like what the hell? She graduated from a Turkish university. And I saw that, the Turkish education system for foreign languages is ***.
I didn't say education wasn't bad and probably never will. It IS bad.

To whom does your mother teach English? It's pretty normal to lose your edge on a language when you've been talking to people who doesn't speak as well as you and you don't have anyone else to talk to. I know it because I went through it too.

Most of the students that graduated high school branch foreign languages, they are not able to speak fluently :D
They don't teach you how to speak. Never said they did, nor they should. There is simply not enough time for that. They are either going to educate you for the upcoming Uni exam, or teach you the real world English. If they were to teach you real world English either no one would be majoring in degrees like ELT or even the most clueless people would get a high score from YKS.

As per the language students, from what I've seen, people who graduated from a "high school's branch of foreign languages" (which I just want to point out doesn't translate that well to English) have a pretty good comprehension of the language itself. They know their grammar even if they can't speak all that well just yet.

So don't blame the students. Okey?
Bruh. This is the most Turkish sentence I've read in a while :D Gave me a good laugh. And just for the record, I don't put all the blame on students. All I'm saying is that students have their fair share of mistakes too.

First time I had conversation with a native irl, I always needed to ask him to speak so slowly.
We all did. Many still do. That's natural. Nothing to be ashamed of or to feel bad about. That's not about you or the education you had. For instance there is a British friend of mine who speaks so fast and pronounces words unlike anyone you've heard, and to this date there are times when I can't figure out what the heck he's saying lol. It happens. I bet it happens in Turkish too :D We just don't realise it.

I think I addressed everything. If I didn't, I will tomorrow. My attention span got quite shorter during the pandemic and haven't had coffee in weeks...

Son düzenleme:
how come you're still making an awful lot of mistakes?
I'm not breakin' any important grammar rule. Any other mistakes are not important. And they are not 'awful'. A missing letter, not capitalizing a letter that should be capitalized or mistakes like that are not awful. Also not lots of mistakes I made. Before you correct 'lots' as 'lot', 'lots' is true use of the lot. If you don't use 'a' before the 'lot' you have to write 'lots'. 'A lot' or 'lots'. Making mistakes just okay. You know?
Slang doesn't make you seem more like a native speaker.
I'm not doing it because that makes me seem more like a native speaker. I just use it because my friends using it.
They know their grammar even if they can't speak all that well just yet.
They have to know grammar if it's their goal. If they want to be a translator, they have to. All I care is being understandable. If there's no serious mistake, if it's understandable, it's okay. I learned that in university. They don't care how you talk. Even the teachers. Be clear, be understandable. That's all. I need 'real world' english.

Why can't we speak English? We learn English in elementary school, middle school, and high school but the result is nothing. We cannot speak English after years of learning English in schools. Isn't there a problem? The main reason for that is; we learn only grammar rules. Knowing only all the grammar rules doesn't help you to speak English. You need to combine your words with grammar to speak English, in this point, grammar is an essential thing. When you know grammar, you can create more beautiful sentences. When you don't know grammar rules; your sentence will look like this:
  • I how can go to the hospital?
That's okay, people will understand you even if you create sentences like this. If you know grammar rules your sentences will look like this and it's going to be more understandable:
  • How can I go to the hospital?
More clear, isn't it? That's why we have to know grammar, knowing a little grammar will make your sentences more clear. You have to know at least basic grammar rules, and a few tenses.

Let's move back to the main point of this text. Schools in Turkey care about grammar so much. Grammar is important, but not that much. They only teach grammar and that's not going to help you speak English. Look at these sentences:
  • I was at school when you called me.
  • I was in school when you called me.
The only difference between these sentences are is the preposition that used. One is at, one is in. Is there any wrong, people will absolutely understand you anyways. Here is another example:
  • You have must understood me.
  • You must have understood me.
The Upper sentence is grammarly wrong, the bottom one is correct. I could understand both sentences. According to a textbook; that's unacceptable, but for me that's okay. Both sentences are understandable. Feel free to share your thoughts.
The system prepares us only for solving exam questions. We memorize it, thinking it won't do anything. We always ask this question when we learn that it works and that it is a necessity. We think that free time is free in elementary and high school years, when we have a lot of free time, when we come to university because of our worthless teachers, we should spend our time learning science, but we suffer from not learning in our high school and middle school years when we have free time. As proof of what I said, you can look at French and German high schools. In addition to English, the students of this school I mentioned have to learn German as a necessity of life. Otherwise, they will not be able to understand the lessons at the school where they are educated.

And they are not 'awful'. A missing letter, not capitalizing a letter that should be capitalized or mistakes like that are not awful.
Aw, man... "An awful lot of something" is a commonly used phrase. The word awful there doesn't imply you made HUGE or bad mistakes, it implies you made "a good amount of mistakes". See? It's flexible like that, too lol. And I'm talking about grammatical mistakes bruh, I couldn't care less about a non-capitalized letter. I feel like we've been hitting the language barrier quite a bit, don't you?

I just use it because my friends using it.
So you're telling me this sentence of yours is grammatically correct? Yes, you can get your point across but it's still incorrect.

They have to know grammar if it's their goal. If they want to be a translator, they have to. All I care is being understandable. If there's no serious mistake, if it's understandable, it's okay. I learned that in university. They don't care how you talk. Even the teachers. Be clear, be understandable. That's all. I need 'real world' english.
It's literally not their job to teach you that in elementary and high school. FYI you're still making "an awful lot of mistakes". Anyhoo, I'm not trying to break you but you kinda don't make sense. First you claim you haven't been given a good education and then you turn around and say that all you care about is to be understood and ignore all the grammatical mistakes.

My point, students having their fair share of mistakes, still stands.

We can't speak because we don't learn the language to speak. We learn to solve questions in the exam. You know how the school works: Until exam, you know it; after exam, you don't know it. The system has to change.

Geri
Yukarı